Evaluating Students from Diverse Populations
Course Type: PowerPoint Video
Increase your confidence when making diagnostic decisions for bilingual students.
Evaluating students from second language backgrounds is a complex process because communication concerns can be related to second language influence or a true disorder. This decision carries a lot of weight as a wrong diagnosis increases caseload size and subjects a student to unneeded services.
This course provides tools for interpreting scores when your student is not well represented in the test norms and great information for obtaining language samples and other informal testing procedures.
0.15 ASHA CEUs
Participants will be able to:
- List reasons for testing both languages
- Describe formal and informal measures for testing ELLs
- Use tests when a student is not represented in the normative sample
- Discuss ASHA guidelines for assessment with bilingual students
- Identify red flags for speech and language impairment in bilingual children.
- Identify sounds on the Goldman-Fristoe that are subject to second language influence