|Author and Disclosures||
FINANCIAL: Scott Prath, M.A., CCC-SLP is a salaried employee of Bilinguistics. Bilinguistics receives royalty payments for online courses. NONFINANCIAL: Scott Prath does not have any non-financial rel
Development of Speech in Children with Hearing Impairment
Course Type: PDF White Paper
Learn how speech and hearing relate, be able to identify differences in speech development when hearing is not present, and understand how the degree of hearing loss affects speech outcomes. This course brings to light the triumphs of hearing research and at the same time shows the ramifications of not establishing hearing status prior to beginning a speech and language evaluation. We include case studies that highlight when hearing loss should be suspected and by showing which disorders are often misdiagnosed because hearing levels were not established.
This course is offered for 0.1 ASHA CEU (Intermediate level, Professional area).
Participants will be able to:
- Describe the relationship between hearing and speech development
- List 3 similarities and differences between children with typical development and children with hearing impairments
- Describe sound acquisition patterns in typical hearing and impaired populations
- Describe the relationship between hearing and phonological development
- List speech processes are most greatly affected by hearing impairments
FINANCIAL: Scott Prath, M.A., CCC-SLP is a salaried employee of Bilinguistics. Bilinguistics receives royalty payments for online courses. NONFINANCIAL: Scott Prath does not have any non-financial relationships to disclose.